Thursday, February 17, 2011

Glee 2x13: Bieber gives Glee and Me a Comeback

So we start out this week with Will in his Spanish class (yes remember guys he is also a teacher). This is only interrupted by Sue trying to suicide herself (yes that is a Top Chef Fabio reference) by Gummy Vitamins.

1) Baby- Sam is trying to woo Quinn back from the weird place she has been after getting mono from “saving Finn’s life.” In order to do this he decides to become more like the Biebster. He combs his hair in the perfect Bieber fashion and tests out his new persona at the ever pronounced and revered institution called the Jewish Bat Mitzvah.

Turns out those tweens loved the Samiester (really cant ship those two names), so there is only one more place to go... GLEE PRACTICE. He puts on a purple sweatshirt and sings the mega hit “Baby” which according to him is “super emotional and sums up our generation.” Never have truer words been spoken, Sam. Never have truer words been spoken. With his mouth looking larger than ever he serenades Quinn equipped with all the necessary Bieber moves. All of the glee girls are totally into it and all the boys (besides Finn who is bitter and jealous) totally wants in on the Biebster.

Overall this was a great performance. Sam sang it very well and his dance moves... just adorable. Also I have a new found appreciation for Justin Bieber after seeing his movie in 3D, albeit I was drunk, but I still loved it nonetheless.

2) Somebody to Love- All the boys with girlfriends (yes I am including Puck in that group) approach Sam to get in on the Bieber experiance. Apparently all the bfs are suffering from their significant other’s “Post Valentine’s Lull” and alls they want is some suga. They all Biebster their hair, put on zipup hoodies and hit the stage for their honeys. God this number was fun. Artie and Sam headlined the performance as the girls rushed in. I quietly reminisced on my NSYNC days in my head during this scene.There is more chalk floating across the stage than a gymnastic meet but the dancing is so good I don’t even care. Bravo The Justin Bieber Experience, and please, encore. The only one that doesn’t love the Biebster is Finn becuase it is cramping his style with Quinn. On the other hand this lands Sam a date with both Quinn and Santana. No Santana just come to me, I have big lips too, I promise!

3) Take Me or Leave Me- Sue is finally out of her “Sue-icide” funk and back into her “destroy happiness/Glee Club” shenanigans. She calls both Mercedes and Rachel into her office to find out what it takes to be a Diva. (Side Note: We discover the AMAZING tidbit about Sue’s past that she used to be the tambourine player for Wilson Philips. Yes the one who sang Hold On. Sue you complete me). The two girls have very different definitions of what it means to be a DIVA. For Merecedes it is all about the weave, the ‘tude, and waving that winger. For Rachel it means being insanely emotional and apparently giving birth to your emotions. Unbeknownst to each other, Sue is trying to cause internal Glee drama by putting these two Divas at odds. Rachel announces that in order for this to be a “true” Diva-off, the song had to come from the show tunes genre, and now I am in heaven.

The two girls perform “Take Me or Leave Me.” It is a good performance, both their voices are perfect as always.What I have a problem with in this song is the passion. I am a HUGE Rent fan. I first saw the play when I was in fourth grade (yes I know I was too young to understand it and probably too young to see the play but blame my parents not me) with the original Mark. I have seen the play on Broadway two more times since then and of course have seen the movie. I do love this song, and in the movie version of Rent this song is my favorite (although I did not love the accompanying marriage scene). This track, in the movie, is filled with SO MUCH passion. There is love and hate and lust and anger and all the problems this dysfunctional relationship holds all balled up into one number. That is what I love about the song. It is a song about acceptance which is hugely emotional. In the Glee version though it is about showing up the other person. It lacks that emotional component which makes this song so goosebump worthy.

But on a happier note, the performance allows Rachel and Mercedes to put aside their Sue driven feud and just enjoy singing together, because in the end they are two friends who love to perform together. Sue just cant win today.

4) This Little Light Of Mine: Yes I am counting this as a song. This was one of the most heartwarming songs ever performed on Glee. Will was not a huge fan of Sue’s behavior at the Diva-off, since you know she was all like “Where’s the hate” and all that. Becuase of all this negativity Will decides to take Sue on a trip to the Pediatric cancer ward equiped with a bunch of adorable kiddies.

I know that I am a huge sap, so for my heart to melt doesnt take alot, but seriously if Sue’s heart did not melt a little bit because of these kids there is something seriously Serial Killerly wrong with her.

5) I Know What Boys Like: Really do not know what to say about this song. I thought it was cute that Lauren was nervous about performing and that she took Pucks advice of seeing everyone in their underwear. Besides that I did not understand the point of this song. Can the actress of Lauren not actually sing? I don’t think that is the case, I was under the impression that all the students on the show needed to know how to sing. I found this just very awkward and out of place and did not have any real musical component to it. The best part of this performance is when Lauren motorboated Artie!

6) Sing: Sue was uninspired by the songs that the Glee kids had picked as anthems this week. Instead she picked a song about dreams and such. This is like a young dykes dream come true, a bunch of hot girls in flannel and Sue in a flannel track suit.


It was a good song but it seemed a bit screamy and less singy. I agree with Rachel that “Sing” is not the song to win Regionals, but I disagree that they should write their own music.

What do you think guys? Do you feel bad for Quinn?Did anyone else catch Rachel's "To Do List?" Seriously awesome!

Did you miss Kurt? Are Kurt and Blaine makeout friends now? Let me know!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment