Saturday, April 17, 2010

Barney, My First Television Memory

Hey Guys,

So I am starting this blog again... Finally. And I may be drunk now, but that is besides the point. I can always edit this post tomorrow. I want to post today about my first real memories about Television and why I love it so much.

I have a few first memories about things I have seen on the TV. I remember when I lived in Chelsea in NYC and would wake up Saturday mornings watching Casper and waiting for my father to return from his Chicago business trips. My father would walk in wearing his khakis and a polo. I would be the only one up in the apartment sitting in the living room waiting, watching TV. This may have only happened once or twice, but I vividly remember it even though it was 16 years ago. I would be the only one awake waiting for my dad to come home and was fully engrossed in whatever was on the TV screen. I think that was when my relationship with television began. When no one else was up to play with me, the TV was available and provided me with entertainment and an alternate reality. The TV and the programs it presented became a reliable source of entertainment and comfort.

Although I am somewhat embarrassed to say, my first real memory of  a television program was Barney. Before the show was called Barney and Friends it was called Barney and the Backyard Gang. The two episodes that i remember the most are the one where they go to the beach, and the one where they go to the school (They were actually on VHS but that is besides the point). If anyone is not aware of the premise of Barney I will explain. There is this stuffed Dinosaur who is purple and green and when the kids imagine hard enough, he come to life. He has a rally dorky laugh and it kinda cheesy. He tries to teach kindness and imagination and that you can do anything if you try.

I feel as though Barney was criticized as I grew up, and mostly from children who wanted to deny they ever like it, but truthfully I think it was one of my most educational tools. My favorite character was Tina, who was one of the younger cast members. Tina was very much like I was, she had a great imagination (she could turn a stuffed dinosaur into real life) and she needed to constantly be stimulated.  She would discuss her problems with Barney and he would help her work them out. She always followed her older sister Lucy, and needed to rely on her sister to make sure she was safe when other would not play with her.

There, that is my first TV Experience,  Barney and the Backyard Gang which is different from regular Barney. I love it and I am no longer ashamed it admit it. If you want to check it out here are a link to the first part of each(once you watch the clip there will be links to watch the whole episode):

Barney Goes to School


Barney A Day at the Beach:

0 comments:

Post a Comment