Friday, May 7, 2010

Feel Good TV- Favorite Epsidoes

This week I was really good and did not watch any TV during Finals Week (I got alot of work done even though  I was going through TV withdrawal). I spent a bunch of time deciding what show I should watch first, after my last final was over. I knew I would be really tired and not able to pay too much attention to detail, so Lost was out of the question. I would not be able to handle too much awkwardness so Modern Family, The Office and 30 Rock were out as well. I decided that as soon as I was done with my finals, I was going to watch one of my "feel good" TV shows.

Most people have a specific thing they like to do when they are in a bad mood. Alot of people watch a certain movie, read a certain book or listen to music. Even though I do those things sometimes (my picks are Moulin Rouge, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Matt Nathanson respectively) I will usually watch TV, and usually the same episodes.

Alot of my friends do not understand TV on DVD, saying how can you watch the same episodes of a show over and over again. My response is always, "How can you watch the same movie or listen to the same song over and over again." And they always answer that question with "It's different." I agree it is different, I think watching TV epsisodes over and over again is even better. TV is so great becuase you can pick an episode where the characters were doing something you loved, maybe your favorite couple was together or there was a certain intriguing story arc. You do not have to deal with the crap you know is going to happen in five episodes where so and so dies, you can focus on the stand alone story and acting of a single episode. It does not matter what happens after that, or what you know is to come, you can appreciate that episode as a single entity and let everything else go. This is something that you can't do in a movie. A movie is a whole; you usually do not watch just the part of the movie you like the most and be done with it. You are supposed to watch it from beginning to end. So even if there is a part of the movie that you love, if there is a part of it you hate as well, it is all included in the viewing.

Here are my go to episodes for TV. I have seen these episodes so many times I do not even have to fully pay attention to know what is going on. Everytime I watch them I feel calm, and I do not think I will ever get sick of them.(They are in no particular order)

"Hush" Buffy The Vampire Slayer- This episode was great becuase there was no dialogue and there was a ton of raw emotion shown through non verbal communication.

"Once More, With Feeling" Buffy- Two words: Buffy. Musical. Enough said

"The Model Home" The OC- Seth has a new friend and Ryan has a new crush... and burns down a model home.

"The 70's Episode" Charmed-Please do not judge me on this one. I used to be a big Charmed fan, it has been my guilty pleasure for a while. They go back in time and see themselves as kids, and the lil witches are adorable.

"Phase One" Alias- SD-6 Falls, and Vaughn and Sydney fall on each other.

Skins -Pretty much any episode of Series 3 and 4 of I can watch and it will make me feel better.

*I want to make sure everyone know that this is not a list of my FAVORITE episodes of TV, or the ones which I think are the best I have ever seen. They are just the episodes that comfort me when I need it*
 
So those are my picks. What TV shows do you guys watch when you are in a bad mood? Comment and let me know.

APB

0 comments:

Post a Comment